U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said on Saturday that his country does not plan to restart trade negotiations with Canada for the time being following the collapse of talks and the entry into force, as of midnight, of new 50% tariffs on Canadian imports.

"There are no new talks scheduled with the Canadians," Greer indicated to the FoxNews network in statements that coincide with the announcement by Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney that Ottawa will match Washington's new levies "dollar-for-dollar" starting September 8.

Greer added that "while President (Donald) Trump has put into motion a trade policy designed to bring production back to the United States and protect American jobs, two countries have retaliated against the United States: the People's Republic of China and Canada."

The official insisted that "after a year of such retaliation, we have said enough is enough and, therefore, we have adopted countermeasures."

"We offered the Canadians the chance to join this path, specifically, to reduce the tariffs applied to them on steel, automobiles, and even lumber, products that are sensitive to them. They have always had the best conditions and would have continued to enjoy even better treatment, but they did not want to accept it," he said.

Greer blamed Canada on Friday for the failure of trade talks and stated that Ottawa refused to close the deal on the terms that, according to Washington, had been agreed upon earlier in the week.

The breakdown of dialogue cleared the way for the entry into force of the 50% tariffs imposed by Trump on some $20 billion worth of Canadian products, including some that meet USMCA rules, which the U.S. president announced in July.

For his part, Carney announced on Saturday that his country's retaliation will begin to be applied from September 8, concentrated in sectors such as steel, dairy products, household appliances, agricultural machinery, pulp, paper, and electronics.

The Liberal leader also hinted that Canada has the capacity to affect the U.S. economy through its energy exports and asserted that Washington's new measures have been designed to harm and divide Canadians.

California Governor Gavin Newsom, a frequent critic of the Republican president and seen as a possible contender for the Democratic nomination in the 2028 presidential election, rejected these measures in a social media post.

"Our closest ally. Our key trading partner. And Trump is imposing 50% tariffs on Canada. What the hell are we doing?" he wrote on X.

Trump has justified the new round of tariffs as a response to what he describes as "continued discrimination" and "unequal treatment" of American trade by Ottawa.

Google News

TEMAS RELACIONADOS

[Publicidad]