The U.S. military launched a series of attacks against Iran early Wednesday, hours after three merchant vessels were struck by projectiles in the Strait of Hormuz, in the latest exchange of hostilities that threatens a provisional agreement to end fighting between the two countries.

The resumption of attacks by both sides will undoubtedly increase the difficulty of negotiations to fully reopen the Strait of Hormuz, reverse Tehran's nuclear program, and reach a permanent end to the war.

In a statement posted on social media, the U.S. military's Central Command said U.S. forces launched the strikes “to impose high costs for attacking commercial shipping crewed by innocent civilians in an international waterway.”

“The aggression demonstrated by Iran was unjustified, dangerous, and a clear violation of the ceasefire,” the command asserted in its statement.

A similar series of Iranian attacks against shipping and U.S. retaliation occurred late last month.

Hours after the three oil tankers were struck by projectiles, the United States revoked a license that had authorized the sale of Iranian oil as part of the provisional agreement to end fighting between the U.S. and Iran.

The new aggressions in the strait represented the highest level of military activity in a single day since late April, according to the UN's International Maritime Organization. The recent attacks threatened to choke traffic in the Strait of Hormuz just as countries were hoping to restore normal shipping practices and alleviate the global economic tension caused by the war.

A U.S. official said the license was revoked because Iran's actions in the strait were unacceptable and must face consequences. The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to share details about the reason for the measure.

Iran's Foreign Ministry condemned the decision to revoke the license, asserting in a statement that the measure is a violation of the provisional agreement and that “the United States government assumes responsibility for the consequences of this breach of commitment.”

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also noted on the social network X that the new U.S. attacks violated that agreement.

Uno de los buques petroleros se incendió tras ser atacado

One of the oil tankers was sailing off the coast of Oman when it was struck by a projectile and caught fire, according to the British agency United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations. Iranian state television claimed the liquefied natural gas vessel was attacked after ignoring warnings, but did not directly claim responsibility for the aggression.

The other two ships suffered some damage, but no one was injured, and both continued on their journey, the British maritime agency indicated.

It is suspected that Tehran, which has repeatedly declared that only its approved route through the strait is safe, has targeted other ships that have used a different route near the Omani coast.

Location details provided by the British agency show that all three attacks occurred off the coast of Oman or the neighboring United Arab Emirates, making it likely that the ships were using the route near Oman.

In peacetime, one-fifth of all traded oil and natural gas passed through the channel.

The license issued by the United States authorized the production, delivery, and sale of Iranian oil until August 21. U.S. Vice President JD Vance said at the time that long conversations with senior Iranian officials in Switzerland created a “good foundation for a successful final deal” to end the war.

U.S. sanctions on the purchase of Iranian oil had been in place since the 1979 Iranian Revolution. After the United States and Israel began the war, and following the closure of the strait, the U.S. had authorized the temporary sale of Iranian oil at least twice as an incentive to reach an agreement.

Meanwhile, talks between Iran and the United States appeared to be paused until after the funeral of Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who died in the early fighting of the war.

Qatar califica el ataque como una violación del derecho internacional

An oil tanker was transporting liquefied natural gas southward through the strait near Limah, Oman, when a projectile struck the left side of the engine room and caused a fire, Maritime Trade Operations reported.

Majed Al-Ansari, spokesman for Qatar's Foreign Ministry, stated that the Qatari tanker Al Rekayyat was the target of an “unacceptable attack” against international shipping and global energy security. He called it a “grave and explicit violation” of international law.

In a post on X, he affirmed that Qatar considers Iran “fully responsible in legal terms.”

Later on Tuesday, the British maritime agency reported that an oil tanker was struck on its left side as it was exiting the strait near the border between Oman and the UAE. A third oil tanker was struck by a drone off Oman, the agency indicated.

The Joint Maritime Information Center, a multinational body overseen by the U.S. Navy, communicated to shippers on Monday that the route around Oman “has been expanded and remains available to all traffic.”

Ships heading north along the Iranian route must register with Tehran. Those heading south work with Oman and the United States.

Iran and the United States agreed, as part of a provisional pact, to allow ships to pass without paying fees for 60 days. But Tehran insisted that it must control vessel routes and later charge fees for passage, which would disrupt decades of practice in the waterway.

The United States and many Arab states in the Persian Gulf say they will not accept Iran charging for passage through the strait.

Data firm Kpler reported that, over the past weekend, at least 108 ships crossed the strait using various routes.

Google News

TEMAS RELACIONADOS

[Publicidad]